9 Best AI Cover Letter Generators for Job Seekers in 2024
2024-01-24 by Archit Shukla
On average, it takes 21 to 80 job applications to land a job offer. Imagine writing cover letters for all those applications. Now imagine an AI cover letter generator doing the job 10X faster.
The second option sounds more efficient, isn't it?
AI cover letter writers are creating a buzz in the job market. They are quick, reliable, and make job hunting easier for job seekers.
In this article, I'll talk you through the best AI cover letter generators available in the market.
But — before that happens, let's understand what AI cover letter writers are and how to choose the right cover letter generator.
What Is an AI Cover Letter Generator?
An AI cover letter generator is a software powered by artificial intelligence and machine learning to help produce personalized cover letters quickly and efficiently.
Back in time, writing cover letters was a tedious task. Especially for people on a job hunt, writing a personalized cover letter for every application was daunting. It even made many skip the application process.
Faster forward to today, generating a well-versed cover letter is merely a few clicks away. However, finding the right cover letter generator requires little research.
What To Look For in an AI Cover Letter Generator?
#1. Speed and Accuracy
Time is of utmost importance when you are on a job hunt. So is applying with the right cover letters. But writing personalized cover letters at scale isn't a walk in the park.
Look for a cover letter generator that has speed, isn't laggy, and can pen down cover letters based on the information you provide quickly and efficiently.
#2. Good Reviews
Look for the tool reviews and ratings on sites like G2, Capterra, and more. This helps you understand the ebb-and-flow of the software, so you won't have any surprises when you actually use it.
#3. Personalization and Customization Options
Most AI cover letter generators come with advanced customization options. Make sure your tool can generate multiple cover letter versions, each unique in its own way.
Most importantly, ensure that the tool enables you to adjust the tone, voice, and style of writing to your preference, delivering cover letters that you desire.
#4. ATS-Friendly Writing
Application Tracking System (ATS) treats cover letters as scannable text like on resumes. The system scans cover letters for keywords and rightful association of the content with the job description.
Ensure the AI cover letter writer automatically optimizes generated content with the right keywords based on job description.
That said, let's bow down to the best AI cover letter generators free and paid available in the market.
9 Best AI Cover Letter Generators in 2024
#1. JobSearch.Coach AI Cover Letter Generator
JobSearch.Coach is an all-in-one tool for job seekers looking to quantify their job application process. The tool can help create personalized, ATS-friendly cover letters within minutes.
All you need to do is upload your resume, answer some questions, and get a tailored cover letter that aligns with your thoughts and the job you are applying for.
- Role-specific cover letters: Generate cover letters personalized to the job description and role you are applying for
- One-click document Upload: Easy-to-upload documents, like resumes, to feed AI with information for personalizing your cover letter
- Pre-built questionnaire: Pre-built Q&A modules enable JobSearch.Coach AI produce a stop-on cover letter with all your desired details
- Customization options: Adjust the tonality and voice of your AI generated cover letter to be conversational or more formal with a click
- ✅ Free forever plan available
- ✅ Easy to use with fast outputs
- ✅ Generates role-based cover letters
- ✅ Customization options
- ✅ Produces cover letters that don't sound robotic
- ❌ It doesn't support older Word files (.doc).
JobSearch.Coach offers a free forever plan. The plan allows up to two instantly written and personalized cover letters each month. Apart from that, it has two budgeted plans suited for job seekers:
- Flexible: $1.99 / cover letter
- Unlimited: $19.99 / month for an unlimited number of cover letters
ChatGPT is a popular AI cover letter generator for producing unique, personalized cover letters. The AI is trained on a massive dataset of 8 million documents and 10 billion words. Users can prompt the chatbot asking for a cover letter, and it generates one within a few seconds.
- Has an easy-to-use interface enabling you to hold conversations and command the chatbot in simple language
- Generate personalized cover letters by simply entering prompts that include personal details and instructions to write the cover letter
- Quickly refine responses using follow-up prompts in natural language
- ✅ ChatGPT is free to use
- ✅ A robust AI tool with an easy-to-use interface
- ✅ The tool is capable of blending with your style
- ❌ The quality of cover letters is highly dependent on the given prompts, giving the tool a steep learning curve.
- ❌ Cover letters tend to be wordy, and sound too formal, even archaic
- ❌ The free version doesn't allow you to upload files
- ❌ Users often find the AI hallucinating and making up text on its own (this includes faking qualification and skill sets in the cover letter)
- Free Forever uses the older ChatGPT 3.5 model
- ChatGPT Plus: $20/month
Kickresume's AI cover letter writer is powered by OpenAI's GPT-4 model. It can generate role-specific cover letters that look and feel as if a human wrote them.
- Powerful AI-based cover letter writer capable of producing cover letters based on job description
- Has a gallery of 35+ ATS-friendly templates designed by professional typographers and recruiters
- Every template comes with customizable color schemes, fonts, and formatting options
- Over 1500+ examples of cover letters and resumes so you never have to start from scratch
- Comes with a dedicated mobile app, making it easy-to-navigate, access and edit your career documents from anywhere
- Has human proofreaders to ensure that the cover letter has impeccable grammar (paid extra)
- ✅ Kickresume is free to get started
- ✅ Tons of pre-built cover letter templates and examples
- ✅ Dedicated mobile app
- ❌ Repetition by AI of words, phrases, and superlatives is a detractor
- ❌ Expensive for beginners
- ❌ Only accepts job descriptions shorter than 6000 characters
- ❌ Human proofreading is provided as an add-on (chargeable at $28/cover letter)
Kickresume offers a free forever plan with limited features. Apart from that, it offers a premium plan at $19/month.
LazyApply's AI cover letter generator tool is trained on existing cover letter templates to produce a personalized, catchy, and convincing cover letter for your job applications.
- Produce personalized cover letters with options to choose – tone type, job title, company/sender name, skills, job location, and more variables
- On-screen editor helps edit text within cover letter in real-time
- Ribbon-style toolbar enables you to regenerate, copy, or reset responses a click away
- Easy export options such as direct copy-paste, download as a PDF, or asking LazyApply to email it to you
- ✅ Free up to 4 cover letters
- ✅ Quick and efficient in producing personalized cover letters
- ✅ Easy-to-set up and use
- ✅ State-of-art automation capabilities
- ❌ Might be expensive for job seekers
- ❌ Repetition of words and terms like 'I am confident.'
- ❌ Doesn’t have the option to upload your resume and job description
LazyApply comes with a range of pricing plans catering to individuals and enterprises:
For Individuals (perpetual plan)
- Basic: $149
- Premium: $199
- Unlimited: $349
- Gold: $799/month
- Platinum: $999/month
- Diamond: $3499/month
#5. Cover Letter AI
Cover Letter AI helps you write professional and personalized cover letters based on job descriptions, in any language within minutes.
- Offers a range of writing styles to choose from, including – narrative, descriptive, creative, business, and more
- Easy to balance the level of creativity in output using a value-based creative meter
- Quickly create multiple versions of the cover letter in a click
- Enterprise-grade security norms ensure that the information you provide, such as the job description and company name, is not stored on servers
- ✅ Easy to get started
- ✅ Data and personal information are not stored
- ✅ Built-in text editor
- ❌ It has a free version, but that's limited to just one cover letter
- ❌ Takes time to generate responses (compared to other tools in the list)
- Free Forever
- Starter: $5.44/month
- Growth: $10.40/month
Postlander is a GPT-powered cover letter generator. The platform is in beta stage, but once open to the general public, job seekers can use it as a cover letter generator based on job description.
- Has a ChatGPT type conversational interface that makes it easy to produce and iterate responses
- Integrates with LinkedIn to personalize the content of your cover letter with relevant and up-to-date information
- Enter the job title and company name to generate cover letters with exact keywords and phrases to bypass ATS
- ✅ Easy-to-use interface
- ✅ Integrates with LinkedIn
- ✅ Provides personalized cover letters based on job description
- ❌ No free trial
- ❌ Plagiarism checker not available
- ❌ The platform is currently in closed beta, you need to hop on a waitlist to get started
- Basic: $6/month
- Pro: $8/month
For many — Grammarly is a go-to tool for professional writing. Or even when communicating with C-level executives and team leaders. Recently, the platform released its AI cover letter generator, which helps you create a standout cover letter instantly.
- A simple, two-step process to generate personalized cover letter generated by Grammarly's generative AI
- Achieve the right tone, formality, and length by editing text in just a few clicks
- Use Grammarly suggestions to ensure your writing is clear and mistake-free
- ✅ Grammarly's AI-cover letter generator is free to use
- ✅ Users find the tool simple and intuitive to use
- ✅ Built-in features to polish grammar, tone, and clarity
- ❌ If you're a one-person army, Grammarly could be expensive for you.
- ❌ Advanced features such as suggestions, error detection, and AI-writer are available with the premium plan only.
- Free Forever
- Premium: $144/year
- Business: $180/year
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Jobscan offers an AI cover letter writer powered by the GPT-4 language model, giving it the edge to generate ATS-friendly cover letters quickly.
- Generate ATS friendly cover letters targeting keywords based on job description and role
- Automatically extracts information from your resume to highlight your skills and experience in a way that aligns with the hiring company's needs
- Ability to customize your cover letter to specific job openings before sending it across the table
- The tool links with Jobscan's Job Tracker to Organize your cover letters in one place
- ✅ Free trial available
- ✅ ATS-friendly cover letters
- ❌ Difficult to navigate
- ❌ No content suggestions
- Free Forever
- Monthly: $50/month
#9. Rytr AI Cover Letter Generator
Rytr cover letter generator is a highly configurable tool. Reason being, the tool offers plenty of options to customize and style cover letters your way.
- Produce cover letters in over 30+ different languages and 20+ tones
- Create up to three versions for your cover letter simultaneously
- Extensive formatting options to make text richer and presentable
- Built-in plagiarism checker to spot duplicate content before sending your cover letter
- ✅ Has native Google extension
- ✅ Free version available
- ✅ Easy-to-use interface
- ✅ Wide range of language and tonality configuration options
- ❌ Users find the app UI boring
- ❌ Lacks personalization in cover letters
- ❌ Might hallucinate or repeat sentences
- Free Forever
- Saver: $9/month
- Unlimited: $29/month
AI cover letter generators are helping job seekers land their dream job. It's high time you switch from traditional job-hunting techniques to AI-driven methods.
Want a platform that can help you with it?
JobSearch.Coach boasts a range of AI tools to help you throughout your job search. From AI-based cover letter generators to interview preparation with an AI coach – you've got it all in here. Get started for free today!